Monday, June 23, 2008

Adventures in Paint




Our daughter absolutely loves to paint. Crayons are fun. Play-doh is cool. But what is really fantastic? Painting. And the clean up isn't a big deal to me, even when I accidentally dump the paints all over the floor.







The watercolor paints need to be renewed soon, and was thinking maybe there was a homemade recipe somewhere I could try out. And of course, there is. So we tried it out. I liked the idea of refilling my current paint tray with this. And it just might work.





Are they like the crayola watercolors? No, not exactly. They paint. The consistency is like a science project I did in elementary school...I don't remember what it was called, but it's solid when touched and liquid when you swirl it around in the container. The color doesn't come off skin quite as well as the store bought variety. But then, when using food coloring to color something...why would it. Maybe I should boil down some beets and barks. Now we're really talking.



I might try a different ratio of baking soda. But here is the recipe I used:

4 Tbsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. vinegar.

Mix in bowl until fizzing stops

2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/2 tsp. glycerin (which I found in the lotion aisle at Freddy's)

Mix till combined. Add food coloring (I seperated it first into 2 containers, and you could seperate it into more. I read styrofoam egg cartons work well for this)

Paint!

We used some potato stamps for this project. We'll try a brush later.

On a second note. Earlier in the day the monkey was painting with "traditional" paints and this is what she did! Talk about staying in the lines! I've never even told her that's what you're supposed to do!



1 comment:

The Edelbrocks said...

Tayler loves to paint too! Lets get together soon and have a painting party! :)