Sunday, August 29, 2010

Super Mystery Adventure Day!

I'd been planning on taking the girls to the Tacoma Art Museum for quite a while, but with cars breaking down and other life getting in the way, it got put on the back burner. Also back there simmering with it was their first real teatime, which I had been prepping them for with our "good manner's" mini tea sessions in the playroom. Since things finally settled down, and I had a full tank of gas in the prius, and my Mom was free for tea, I quickly made plans for a BIG day of adventure that the girls didn't know was coming. I laid out their clothes for the day, and made them hair accessories that evening. I hid their "new" special vintage dolls in the car and made sure to get up early. We packed them a snack in their new purses, and off we went. The art museum was a bit how I expected it to go. They were curious, but were not enthralled. But it was a perfect museum for my little ones. It's fairly small, with only a few small galleries, a nice selection of artistic jewelry in drawers to open, and a wonderful art studio where anyone is welcome to create their own art with available supplies. Maddie and Annora very much enjoyed the Chihuly exhibit - I think that for this age, sculpture grabs the attention more. I think I will look around to see where I can find some more sculpture exhibits for us to look at. We did a lot of prep with some WONDERFUL books by Lucy Micklethwait and some other Can you Find it by the Metropolitan Museum. We did get to see from very interesting art - and I wasn't really expecting it - and I wasn't really sure how to talk about it with my 4 year old.

















Do you see what I mean? That's what art is about though. I love art.

















































So, back to the car we went where their special dolls were waiting for them in their car seats and we jetted down the road to meet Grandma for teatime. Maddie had very good manners and enjoyed pouring her own child sized cup of tea from her tiny teapot and nibbling her ham sandwich and scone. She used her napkin and used appropriate words. Annora was...well, she was Annora. And Annora is 2. So, that's all I can say. Upside down crowns and eating sugar cubes and spilling water just happens at 2. But we all had a great time, and I'm very glad we could share our experience with Grandma.

I was going to extend our day down to the zoo not far away, but the day was getting expensive. At the same time I wanted the kids to enjoy their time with Grandma a bit more, so we found the gardens next to the zoo and went to smell all the roses. We also were able to see some baby ducks and a turtle in the pond!

And then...it was time for bed.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I loved this from the second I read the title! What a fun day out with your girls!

Matthew and Stephanie said...

Love the headbands! What a great day of just being girls!