Thursday, July 05, 2007

Movie Review: Transformers

This will be short, mainly cause typing with one hand sucks (post to follow on why I have 1 hand) but quite simply: one of the best movies I have seen in a long long long while.

It was perfect in it's simplicity (if you can call a $150 million special effect extravaganza "simple"). You don't need to be a fan of Transformers to watch the movie (they do a good job of explaining their world and history, even if it is a bit deviant from original Transformers lore, although in all honest I kinda liked the "new" history better). The plot is fairly simple, the Autobots and Decepticon's both have come to earth to find the allspark, which the boys grandfather (a famours explorer) found. The boy has some of his grandfathers "trinkets" which contain the key to the location of the allspark and so both sides want the boy. Much mayhem, fighting and explosions ensue.

Optimus Prime utters some of his most famous lines (I won't spoil which ones, but if you are a fan of the old cartoons one line will get you and make you crack a huge grin when you hear it).

My only knocks on the movie were: Megatron's transformed status was a bit... confusing. I understood why he wasn't a gun like he was original, but he seemed to transform into some quasi-fighterjet type thing and I was never sure what it was. When (not if) they do a sequel, if Megatron is brought back as Galvatron I hope they make him into a cannon or something like he was... cause the futuristic fighter jet thing wasn't working for me. Also, Starscream had a nice and high pitched voice, but he wasn't NEARLY whiny enough. Starscream needs to be super whiny, and constantly complaining about how he should be in command. I felt the entire development of the Decepticon characters (heck, even the Autobots outside of Prime and Bumblebee) coulda had a bit more character development. When one of the autobots died, while sad, I didn't really "care" because the movie had not spent enough time to make me care about him... so his death seemed sorta pointless.

But all minor points in what was easily my favorite movie of 2007 so far.

No comments: