Friday, April 27, 2007

Christ Like

Isn't it just like God to lay something on your heart and then not let you escape it.

As I have been thinking about "Christ Like" Greg Scandrett posted an excellent post on his blog about exactly that, what acting like Christ would really entail.

One of his points is:

hang out with the most despicable, looked down upon and shunned people we can find?
I find myself very critical of "the church" with regards to this issue... as that has been something that God has not only laid on my heart over the last few years, but has also demonstrated clearly to me how to actively engage these people.

Yet I am entirely hypocritical as I am upset with "church leadership" at not embracing the derelict and most desperate of people (the kind who need and are the most often to accept Christ) while I surround myself with fellow white middle class "Christians" who think and talk like I do. There is nothing wrong with having healthy friendships like these but I know I consciously shy away from reaching out and embracing in love those that need it the most because they are "dirty."

One thing I can tell you for sure about being "Christ Like," it is usually uncomfortable, rarely easy, and often runs counter to what you would consider normal behavior. But at least no one has ever accused me of being normal.

No comments: