Sunday, July 04, 2010

Ice Cream Day!

I've been totally inspired by a college friend who creates these amazing theme days for her kids. I had been doing some small preschool type stuff with the girls on and off and decided to make it a little bit more exciting by doing my own theme days. They don't seem to be quite as elaborate as my friend's, but it works, and the kids love it. I try and plan one every other week. Each week is something, either a theme day or an adventure. But I'd been struggling on my theme day for a week and kept postponing it, till my good friend suggested ice cream day, and started pouring out ideas, so I went with it! I built them an ice cream parlor (cardboard boxes are great for EVERYTHING!), and we did a banana split craft where they got to paint with chocolate and strawberry syrup and cool whip! Then we made baggie ice cream, which turned out more like baggie milkshakes, and the kids loved it anyway. There was a felt board rhyme that I made little felt ice cream cones to go with and a science experiment was planned, but it wasn't hot outside, so melting ice cream on different surfaces wasn't executed. If all I had done was the ice cream parlor, they would have been just as happy - it lasted the whole week long!




















No comments: